TELMA 40MG contain Telmisartan which belongs to a group of medicine called angiotensin II receptor antagonists, a substance produced in your body which makes your blood vessels to narrow, thus increasing your blood pressure. This medicine works by blocking the effect of angiotensin II so that the blood vessels relax, and your blood pressure gets lowered. It is also used to decrease the chance of heart attack, stroke, in people who are at high risks for cardiovascular disease.
High blood pressure is a condition where the force of the blood against the artery wall is very high and if it is not treated, can damage blood vessels in several organs. It is important to regularly measure your blood pressure to check whether it is within the normal range.
Heart attack occur when an artery supplying your heart with blood and oxygen become blocked. Fatty deposit over time forms plaques in your heart’s arteries which when ruptures forms a blood clot. This blood clot can block your arteries, causing a heart attack. Stroke is a condition where the blood supply to part of your brain is interrupted or reduced which prevents brain tissue from getting oxygen and nutrients. TELMA 40MG decrease the chance of heart attack, stroke, in people who are at high risks for cardiovascular disease.
Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor know if you have any kidney or liver problems. Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers should consult their doctor before taking it. The use of TELMA 40MG in children and adolescents upto the age of 18 years is not recommended.
USES OF TELMA 40MG
- Treat high blood pressure
- Reduce cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke
HOW TELMA 40MG WORKS
This medicine relaxes the blood vessels by blocking the action of angiotensin II that usually makes your blood vessels narrow. This allows the blood to flow more smoothly to different organs and the heart to pump more efficiently thus lowering the blood pressure.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Always take TELMA 40MG exactly as your doctor has told you. This medicine must be taken with or without food. It should be swallowed whole with water. Do not crush or chew the medicine.
SIDE EFFECTS OF TELMA 40MG
- Rapid swelling of the skin and mucosa
- Injury or death to your unborn baby
- Faint or dizziness
- Kidney problems marked by swelling in your feet, ankles, or hands or unexplained weight gain
- High potassium in the blood (hyperkalemia) marked by swelling of the face, tongue, throat and difficulty breathing or blistering of the skin or rash
- Sinus pain and congestion (sinusitis)
- Back pain
- Increase in certain white blood cells or low platelet count
- Low blood sugar levels (in diabetic patients)
- Feeling anxious, somnolence, impaired vision
- Fast heartbeat(tachycardia), dry mouth
- Upset stomach, taste disturbance (dysgeusia)
- Abnormal liver function
- Eczema, redness of skin, hives (urticaria), severe drug rash
- Joint pain (arthralgia), pain in extremity,
- Tendon pain, flulike illness, decreased haemoglobin (blood protein)
- Increased level of uric acid, increased hepatic enzymes or creatine phosphokinase in the blood
HOW TO MANAGE SIDE EFFECTS
Apply ice and heat. Take bed rest. Keep exercising. Improve flexibility. Take analgesics and anti-inflammatory medicine.
Drink lot of fluids, such as water or squash, to avoid dehydration. Do not take any other medicines without consulting to a doctor.
Lying down and closing the eyes. drink plenty of water and keep hydrated. Take plenty of sleep.
Drink water. Avoid lying down. Take warm bath or use a heat bag. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. Avoid difficult digest foods.
WARNING & PRECAUTIONS
TELMA 40MG is not recommended for use in pregnant women unless necessary. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
TELMA 40MG is not recommended for use in breastfeeding women unless necessary. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
DRIVING AND USING MACHINES
Do not drive or operate machinery while taking this medicine, since it may cause dizziness or tiredness, sleepiness, light headedness.
Consumption of alcohol is not recommended during treatment with TELMA 40MG.
TELMA 40MG is not recommended in patients with active kidney diseases. Before taking, discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
TELMA 40MG is not recommended in patients with active liver diseases. Before taking, discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
Do not take TELMA 40MG if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Telmisartan or any other ingredients in this medicine.
TELMA 40MG should be used with caution in patients suffering from active heart diseases. Consult your doctor for advice.
Tell your doctor if you have or had a condition such as,
- Raised aldosterone level (water and salt retention in the body along with imbalance of various blood mineral)
- Low blood pressure
- Elevated potassium levels in your blood
Talk to your doctor if you are taking,
- Lithium containing medicines (used to treat some types of depression)
- Potassium, potassium sparing diuretics (used to increase blood potassium levels)
- ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II receptor antagonist (used to treat high blood pressure)
- NSAIDs such as aspirin or ibuprofen and COX-2 inhibitors (used to treat pain and arthritis)
- Heparin (used for thinning blood)
- Immunosuppressant such as cyclosporin or tacrolimus
- Antibiotic such as trimethoprim (used to treat infection)
- Diuretics (water tablets)
- Medicines with blood pressure lowering potential such as baclofen, amifostine
- Alcohol, barbiturates, narcotics, or antidepressants
- Ramipril (used to treat high blood pressure or heart problem)